Monday 7 July 2008

Don't forget your Ready-Brek


As a kid growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, Ready-Brek played a healthy part in my everyday diet. Although I hated it at the time, Mum forced it upon us, and I must admit, it did fill you up and keep you warm on those cold winter mornings. Another thing I remember well from my childhood is 'Flexi-Discs'. I don't recall any particular artists or titles, just the Flexi-Discs themselves. Taped to the front of magazines and cereal boxes, these little pieces of flimsy plastic used to fascinate me. I really don't know why because the music on them was rarely of any interest to me. It was probably just the actual feel of them, the 'flexiness', and maybe the fact they were FREE!

Anyway, I recently picked up this little gem. Johnny Harris' 'Footprints On The Moon' as one of two tracks on a promotional 45 which came free with Ready-Brek cereal, probably around 1970. Quite a strange choice of tunes - Warner Brothers were obviously trying their hardest to plug these two albums - Johnny Harris' 'Movements' and Sacha Distel's 'Sacha Distel'. Serious diggers will know about the classic 'Movements' album which includes 'Fragment Of Fear', 'Stepping Stones', 'Light My Fire' and of course 'Footprints On The Moon'. This particular track was also available on a regular release 45 as the flip of 'Lulu's Theme', but I prefer the novelty value of owning it on a Ready-Brek flexi-disc. Snap, Crackle, and Pop included!



Johnny Harris 'Footprints On The Moon' (1970 Ready-Brek flexidisc 45)



No comments: